Multicrafter

I touch fabric, pet yarn and fondle beads, sometimes inappropriately.

Monday, September 17, 2007

I learned a new craft.
Last saturday my sis and I went to a weaving class from a master weaver and learn how to make cedar baskets. Mine turn out wonderfully but sis got a bit to tight and then to loose. We both started out the same size but hers fits inside mine. I have to find my camera and post pics later. The kids think my camera is for them too and never puts it back so I can use it or they use the batteries up and then I have to get new ones.
The basket weaver told us how to harvest the cedar and then prep it for weaving. We learn how to cut it down to strips and then split it for the warping. We also had to split it into wefts.
I was almost finished when she noticed that I was going backwards. I am right handed but I was very comfortable weaving left handed. I joked that I was in my right mind while weaving. I had trouble binding off because she started it for right hand so I was having to change my way of thinking. Now I want to get some more cedar and weave some more baskets.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Kare said…

    Wow!
    Now I'd love to learn how to do that.
    I hope you find your camera so you can show off the basket.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Subscribe with Bloglines